suit, suit of clothes(noun)
a set of garments (usually including a jacket and trousers or skirt) for outerwear all of the same fabric and color
"they buried him in his best suit"
lawsuit, suit, case, cause, causa(noun)
a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
"the family brought suit against the landlord"
crusade, type, font, instance, pillow slip, case, reason, courting, eccentric, cause, guinea pig, fount, casing, character, event, grounds, subject, example, drive, courtship, causa, suit of clothes, slip, compositor's case, wooing, caseful, grammatical case, causal agent, face, showcase, vitrine, movement, display case, campaign, sheath, typeface, typesetter's case, effort, causal agency, lawsuit, pillowcase, shell
(slang) a businessman dressed in a business suit
"all the suits care about is the bottom line"
courtship, wooing, courting, suit(noun)
a man's courting of a woman; seeking the affections of a woman (usually with the hope of marriage)
"its was a brief and intense courtship"
a petition or appeal made to a person of superior status or rank
playing card in any of four sets of 13 cards in a pack; each set has its own symbol and color
"a flush is five cards in the same suit"; "in bridge you must follow suit"; "what suit is trumps?"
suit, accommodate, fit(verb)
be agreeable or acceptable to
"This suits my needs"
go, conciliate, outfit, fit, gibe, admit, fit out, equip, hold, meet, agree, adapt, check, match, tally, correspond, jibe, oblige, lodge, accommodate, reconcile, become, befit, conform to, beseem
be agreeable or acceptable
"This time suits me"
befit, suit, beseem(verb)
accord or comport with
"This kind of behavior does not suit a young woman!"
enhance the appearance of
"Mourning becomes Electra"; "This behavior doesn't suit you!"
To make proper or suitable; to adapt or fit.
Let your own discretion be your tutor: suit the action to the word, the word to the action. — Shakespeare
To be suitable or apt for one's image.
To be appropriate or apt for.
Be sure to keep your nose to the grindstone today; the suits are making a surprise visit to this department.
To dress; to clothe.
So went he suited to his watery tomb. —Shakespeare.
To please; to make content; as, he is well suited with his place; to fit one's taste.
My new job suits me, as I work less hours and don't have to commute so much.
: To agree; to accord; to be fitted; to correspond; — usually followed by to, archaically also followed by with.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use suit in a sentence?
His overarching message was confident, normal, sophisticated... reminiscent of the feel as the Singapore summit setting, wearing a suit and tie, but he still sent a very firm word of caution, bordering a nuanced threat, that if Washington doesn't keep its Singapore promise and continues with sanctions, then he has Plan B in mind and will go his separate way. He's exuding confidence that his country isn't hung up over the Duyeon Kim, that they can still prosper without Washington.
I made a great start, birdying the first hole, and everyone kind of followed suit after that, the course is very receptive, it's very gettable. It was good to be a part of a group with DJ and Ben Crane. We had a lot of fun out there.
What they see most of the time is this red suit and candy.
Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in a light so dim he would not have chosen a suit by it.
We've come a long way, and I hope this action inspires other jurisdictions to follow suit.
Translations for suit
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- saak, pak klere, pakAfrikaans
- بَذْلة, ناسب, بدلةArabic
- vestitCatalan, Valencian
- kombinéza, následnictví, dvoření, barva, soudní pře, výzbroj, proces, bílý límeček, oplachtění, oblek, pořadí, námluvy, vyhovovatCzech
- Farbe, Anzug, passenGerman
- ακολουθία, αγωγή, κοστούμι, ενδυμασία, σειρά, χρώμα, στολή, αρμόζω, ταιριάζω, βολεύωGreek
- emblemo, konveniEsperanto
- vestido, traje, palo, acción, pleito, tacuche, litigio, proceso, flux, terno, convenirSpanish
- pukumies, puku, purjekerta, väri, kanne, maa, oikeusjuttu, haarniska, asu, sopia, miellyttääFinnish
- poursuite, suite, costard, enseigne, tenue, tailleur, complet, ensemble, costume, procès, couleur, combinaison, convenirFrench
- freagairScottish Gaelic
- causa, vestito, colore, seme, abito, aggiustarsi aItalian
- スート, スーツ, 洋服, 洋服一揃い, 似合う, 適合するJapanese
- 정장, 洋服, 양복, 수트Korean
- whare, hūtuMāori
- парница, одело, комбинезон, костум, боја, одговара, погодува, стои, прилегаMacedonian
- farge, dressNorwegian
- zaak, kostuum, kleur, pakDutch
- farge, kortfarge, dressNorwegian Nynorsk
- kombinezon, garnitur, kolor, kostium, pasować, odpowiadaćPolish
- traje, processo, naipe, fato, terno, adequar-se, convirPortuguese
- процесс, костюм, комбинезон, масть, подойти, подходить, пойти, годиться, идтиRussian
- färg, svit, kostym, passaSwedish
- takım elbiseTurkish
Get even more translations for suit »
Find a translation for the suit synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)