attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try(verb)
earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try"
try, seek, attempt, essay, assay(verb)
make an effort or attempt
"He tried to shake off his fears"; "The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"; "The police attempted to stop the thief"; "He sought to improve himself"; "She always seeks to do good in the world"
test, prove, try, try out, examine, essay(verb)
put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
"This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe"
audition, rise, analyze, leaven, sample, show, testify, establish, test, evidence, try out, study, examine, see, seek, try on, probe, quiz, attempt, essay, raise, adjudicate, render, prove, shew, judge, screen, taste, turn out, demonstrate, turn up, experiment, strain, analyse, stress, hear, canvass, assay, canvas, bear witness
judge, adjudicate, try(verb)
put on trial or hear a case and sit as the judge at the trial of
"The football star was tried for the murder of his wife"; "The judge tried both father and son in separate trials"
attempt, examine, guess, pass judgment, stress, adjudicate, strain, essay, gauge, test, label, settle, assay, try out, prove, estimate, resolve, taste, pronounce, hear, evaluate, approximate, sample, judge, render, try on, seek, decide
sample, try, try out, taste(verb)
take a sample of
"Try these new crackers"; "Sample the regional dishes"
examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process
"The jury had heard all the evidence"; "The case will be tried in California"
attempt, take heed, stress, try out, strain, get wind, essay, seek, get word, hear, listen, learn, get a line, prove, test, try on, taste, assay, find out, discover, examine, pick up, adjudicate, sample, judge, render, see
give pain or trouble to
"I've been sorely tried by these students"
try, strain, stress(verb)
test the limits of
"You are trying my patience!"
punctuate, strive, tense up, deform, sample, essay, filter out, test, try out, sift, reach, sieve, puree, examine, extend, seek, try on, filter, accentuate, separate out, strain, adjudicate, render, prove, emphasise, distort, judge, taste, filtrate, attempt, accent, tense, stress, hear, assay, emphasize
melt (fat or lard) in order to separate out impurities
"try the yak butter"; "render fat in a casserole"
supply, hand over, sample, essay, return, depict, test, deliver, try out, fork over, fork up, show, examine, picture, stress, seek, try on, give, attempt, turn in, strain, adjudicate, render, provide, prove, judge, yield, taste, fork out, furnish, translate, generate, interpret, hear, assay, submit
try on, try(verb)
put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice
"Try on this sweater to see how it looks"
To attempt. Followed by infinitive.
I gave unicycling a try but I couldn’t do it.
To separate (precious metal etc.) from the ore by melting; to purify, refine.
I gave sushi a try but I didn’t like it.
To make an experiment. Usually followed by a present participle.
I tried mixing more white paint to get a lighter shade.
To taste, sample, etc.
Try this—you’ll love it.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Castigate and chastise refer strictly to corporal punishment, tho both are somewhat archaic; correct and punish are often used as euphemisms in preference to either. Punish is distinctly retributive in sense; chastise, partly retributive, and partly corrective; chasten, wholly corrective. Chasten is used exclusively in the spiritual sense, and chiefly of the visitation of God.
"We are chastened of the Lord," 1 Cor. xi, 32; "they ... chastened us after their own pleasure, but He for our profit," Heb. xii, 10; "chasten in thy hot displeasure," Ps. iv, 7; chasten with pain; by trials and sorrows.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
to do something
"he will try to make that jump at 2:00 o clockSubmitted by JP03 on October 26, 2014
you try to do something you attempt
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use try in a sentence?
***(c)(p) I WILL CHALLENGE ANYONE TODAY AND SAY THIS:- IF BOB MARLEY AND PETER TOSH WERE ALIVE TODAY, THOSE WHO TRY TO SELL THEM, THEIR IMAGES, AND WORKS WOULD NEVER GET AWAY WITH IT! I MUST ALSO ADD- IF THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS ALLOWS THIS TO HAPPEN TO THEIR FATHERS, BEING RAPED IN THEIR GRAVES, THEN THE CONSEQUENCES ARE THEIRS TO BEAR. I KNEW THEIR FATHERS BEFORE THEY WERE BORN. I KNOW MY BRETHRENS SPIRITS LIVES! JAH LIVES! RASTAFARI IS, AND LIVES! I AM RAS CARDO FROM TRENCH TOWN.
That's how Barea is. He's a chippy player, i mean, he has to be that way. He's the smallest guy in the league, one of the toughest guys in the league as well. So we knew he was going to try and add a little something to the game, but we did a good job keeping our heads.
My goal in life is to make everyone else happy and when I'm happy I try to make them believe they're the cause of it
My mom actually had moved( to Los Angeles) to pursue modeling, and so when she had me then, at 21, she just decided that I should go ahead and try my hand at it.
Whether they grew up in small, isolated communities, communities that just didn't have the same level of contact that we all live in today ... we are asking for this big push to try to find who these people are, and find out what brought them here.
Translations for try
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- старáцца, паспрабава́ць, спрабава́ць, пастара́ццаBelarusian
- постаравам се, пробвам, опитвамBulgarian
- চেষ্টা করাBengali
- provar, jutjar, intentar, esforçar-se, tractar de, assaig, tastarCatalan, Valencian
- zkusit, zkoušet, pokoušet se, pokusit seCzech
- cais, profi, ceisioWelsh
- afprøve, prøve, forsøge, testeDanish
- versuchen, Versuch, probieren, Gericht, Prozess, kosten, AnlaufGerman
- απόπειρα, δοκιμάζω, δικάζω, προσπαθώ, πειραματίζομαιGreek
- provi, gustumi, testi, procesi, prilaboriEsperanto
- try, juzgar, tratar, probar, ensayo, intentar, prueba, intentoSpanish
- proovima, üritamaEstonian
- آزمودن, چشیدن, کوشیدن, پژوهیدن, چشش, کوششPersian
- kokeilu, maistelu, yrittää, syyttää, kokeilla, koettaa, maistaminenFinnish
- essayer, tester, s'efforcer, tenter, traduire en justice, tentative, essai, tâcher, goûterFrench
- feuch, feuchainnScottish Gaelic
- השתדל, ניסהHebrew
- कोशिश करनाHindi
- próbálja megHungarian
- փորձ, փորձել, փորձարկել, աշխատելArmenian
- mencoba, mencobai, mencicipiIndonesian
- tentare, assaggiare, cercare, meta, prova, tentativo, provareItalian
- 試み, 挑戦する, 試みる, 裁判に掛ける, やってみる, 試す, 努める, トライJapanese
- სინჯვა, ლელო, დაგემოვნება, ცდაGeorgian
- ههوڵ, ههوڵ دان, تام کردن, تام, ئیش لهسهرکردن, تاقی کردنKurdish
- conor, experiorLatin
- cubaan, cubaMalay
- toetsen, proberen, proeven, uitproberen, berechten, pogen, trachtenDutch
- forsøkNorwegian Nynorsk
- stille for retten, forsøke, prøveNorwegian
- próbować, starać się, próbaPolish
- tentar, prova, teste, experimentar, testar, acionar, esforçar-se, autuar, processar, ensaio, tentativa, tryPortuguese
- pruver, pruar, empruvar, provarRomansh
- probă, testa, probare, încercare, tentativă, experimentare, strădui, încerca, se forța, gusta, judecaRomanian
- пыта́ться, стара́ться, попро́бовать, про́бовать, про́ба, попыта́ться, постара́ться, испыта́ть, суди́ть, испы́тывать, попы́ткаRussian
- pokušaj, pokušati, proba, probati, kušati, isprobatiSerbo-Croatian
- pokúsiť sa, pokúšať saSlovak
- prova, testa, försöka, chans, försökSwedish
- ลอง, พยายามThai
- teşebbüs etmek, denemekTurkish
- стара́тися, про́бувати, намага́тисяUkrainian
- cố gắngVietnamese
Get even more translations for try »
Find a translation for the try synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)