To make a solemn promise (to do something).
A person who has taken a pledge of allegiance to a college fraternity, but not yet formally approved.
A security to guarantee payment of a debt.
A drinking toast.
(the pledge): A promise to abstain from drinking alcohol.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
All these words involve at least two parties, tho an engagement or promise may be the act of but one. A contract is a formal agreement between two or more parties for the doing or leaving undone some specified act or acts, and is ordinarily in writing. Mutual promises may have the force of a contract. A consideration, or compensation, is essential to convert an agreement into a contract. A contract may be oral or written. A covenant in law is a written contract under seal. Covenant is frequent in religious usage, as contract is in law and business. Compact is essentially the same as contract, but is applied to international agreements, treaties, etc. A bargain is a mutual agreement for an exchange of values, without the formality of a contract. A stipulation is a single item in an agreement or contract. A cartel is a military agreement for the exchange of prisoners or the like.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a deposit of personal property as security for a debt
"his saxophone was in pledge"
someone accepted for membership but not yet fully admitted to the group
a drink in honor of or to the health of a person or event
a binding commitment to do or give or refrain from something
"an assurance of help when needed"; "signed a pledge never to reveal the secret"
promise solemnly and formally
"I pledge that I will honor my wife"
pay (an amount of money) as a contribution to a charity or service, especially at regular intervals
"I pledged $10 a month to my favorite radio station"
toast, drink, pledge, salute, wassailverb
propose a toast to
"Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year"
give as a guarantee
"I pledge my honor"
bind or secure by a pledge
"I was pledged to silence"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
health (in drinking)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use pledge in a sentence?
He won’t take a pledge saying he will support the Republican nominee, he has changed his mind on some pretty important things.I would like to know where he actually stands on amnesty.Where he actually stands on universal health care. Where he actually stands on abortion.Those are things that matter to me and they matter to Republican voters.
We are already seeing the effect of your strong focus on the importance of burden-sharing in the alliance, we agree that allies need to redouble their efforts to meet the pledge we all made in 2014 to invest more in our alliance.
I've looked at what was done in both cases, and what President Joe Biden did was to, as a candidate, make this pledge, and that helps politicize the entire nomination process, but what President Reagan said is as one of his Supreme Court justices President Reagan would like to appoint a woman and President Reagan appointed a highly qualified one in Sandra Day O'Connor.
If they can't pledge the stock, they might just sell the shares.
I pledge to you unwavering support and the support of our nation until you have fully recovered and rebuilt and we will never ever leave your side. We've already given you billions of dollars and there's a lot more coming as you do it, and to support your recovery from Hurricanes Hurricane Michael and Irma.
Translations for pledge
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ضمان, تَعَهدَArabic
- garantia, promesa, prometre, penyorar, penyora, empenyorar, juramentCatalan, Valencian
- verpfänden, Pfand, zusichern, versprechenGerman
- juramento, garantía, manda, prometer, jurar, hipotecar, brindis, empeñar, iniciado, iniciadaSpanish
- pantata, maljapuhe, pantti, kokelas, raittiuslupaus, lupaus, luvata, sitoutuaFinnish
- promettre, mettre en gage, gageFrench
- gealltanasScottish Gaelic
- zálog, fogadalomHungarian
- ուխտ, գրավArmenian
- promessa solenne, avallo, impegnarsi, garanzia, giuramento, promettere, pegnoItalian
- 抵当, 公約, 保証Japanese
- spondere, vovereLatin
- schacht, plechtig belovenDutch
- obiecać, zastaw, kaucja, depozyt, złożyć zastaw, obietnicaPolish
- promessa, prometer, penhor, garantiaPortuguese
- garanta, legământ, promisiune, promiteRomanian
- заверять, [[отдать]] в [[залог]], обет, обещание, пообещать, [[отдавать]] в [[залог]], залог, заверить, закладывать, клясться, заложить, обещать, поклясться, зарокRussian
- závet, завет, завјет, zavjet, обећање, obećanje, залога, zaloga, за́вет, prisega, присегаSerbo-Croatian
- zavezati se, zapriseči, zaprisega, zaobljubiti se, zastaviti, zaobljubaSlovene
- తనఖా, ప్రతిజ్ఞ, ప్రతినTelugu
- cam kết, thềVietnamese
Get even more translations for pledge »
Find a translation for the pledge synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)