radiance, radiancy, shine, effulgence, refulgence, refulgency(verb)
the quality of being bright and sending out rays of light
be bright by reflecting or casting light
"Drive carefully--the wet road reflects"
smooth, contemplate, speculate, radiate, strike, glisten, reflect, chew over, glitter, excogitate, gleam, beam, smoothen, mull over, think over, polish, ponder, muse, ruminate, glow, meditate, glint, fall, reverberate, mull
emit light; be bright, as of the sun or a light
"The sun shone bright that day"; "The fire beamed on their faces"
glitter, glisten, glint, gleam, shine(verb)
be shiny, as if wet
"His eyes were glistening"
be distinguished or eminent
"His talent shines"
be clear and obvious
"A shining example"
glow, beam, radiate, shine(verb)
have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
"Her face glowed when she came out of the sauna"
throw or flash the light of (a lamp)
"Shine the light on that window, please"
fall, shine, strike(verb)
touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
"Light fell on her face"; "The sun shone on the fields"; "The light struck the golden necklace"; "A strange sound struck my ears"
reflect, settle, beam, excise, descend, fall down, lessen, decrease, hit, radiate, attain, return, glisten, fall upon, chance on, go down, take, diminish, flow, glow, strike, chance upon, move, come down, assume, devolve, coin, fall, walk out, impinge on, affect, run into, scratch, happen upon, glint, pass, smooth, gleam, accrue, mint, strickle, impress, hang, come across, take up, come to, come, expunge, come upon, precipitate, glitter, collide with, light upon, smoothen, light, discover, polish
glow, beam, radiate, shine(verb)
experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion
"She was beaming with joy"; "Her face radiated with happiness"
polish, smooth, smoothen, shine(verb)
make (a surface) shine
"shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
To emit light.
Brightness from reflected light.
Excellence in quality or appearance.
My nephew tried other sports before deciding on football, which he shined at right away, quickly becoming the star of his school team.
He shined my shoes until they were polished smooth and gleaming.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Light, strictly denoting a form of radiant energy, is used as a general term for any luminous effect discernible by the eye, from the faintest phosphorescence to the blaze of the noonday sun. A flame is both hot and luminous; if it contains few solid particles it will yield little light, tho it may afford intense heat, as in the case of a hydrogen-flame. A blaze is an extensive, brilliant flame. A flare is a wavering flame or blaze; a flash is a light that appears and disappears in an instant; as, a flash of lightning; the flash of gunpowder. The glare and glow are steady, the glare painfully bright, the glow subdued; as, the glare of torches; the glow of dying embers. Shine and shining refer to a steady or continuous emission of light; sheen is a faint shining, usually by reflection. Glimmer, glitter, and shimmer denote wavering light. We speak of the glimmer of distant lamps through the mist; of the shimmer of waves in sunlight or moonlight. A gleam is not wavering, but transient or intermittent; a sudden gleam of light came through the half-open door; a glitter is a hard light; as, the glitter of burnished arms. A sparkle is a sudden light, as of sparks thrown out; scintillation is the more exact and scientific term for the actual emission of sparks, also the figurative term for what suggests such emission; as, scintillations of wit or of genius. Twinkle and twinkling are used of the intermittent light of the fixed stars. Glistening is a shining as from a wet surface. Illumination is a wide-spread, brilliant light, as when all the windows of a house or of a street are lighted. The light of incandescence is intense and white like that from metal at a white heat.
blaze, flame, flare, flash, flicker, glare, gleam, gleaming, glimmer, glistening, glistering, glitter, glow, illumination, incandescence, light, luster, scintillation, sheen, shimmer, shining, sparkle, twinkle, twinkling
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use shine in a sentence?
They just sat quietly without doing anything because it was dark, when they were hungry Coach Ek would use a flashlight to shine on the stalactites above.
I am very proud of what we achieved so far, for the well-being of children, i want to shine a light on the successful programs and give them the voice and support them and partner with them.
Tanesco must use an energy mix in the order of priority to include natural gas, coal, hydro and renewables if it has to make electricity generation sustainable, natural gas can keep electricity flowing when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind fails to blow. You can switch it on and off pretty quickly.
I ’m proud to think of the huge influence Kanye West has had on people all around the world. ... Kanye West star will shine in the sky forever, the Rolling Stones are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of our dear friend David Bowie.
Be like stars; instead of cursing the darkness, shine.
Translations for shine
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- brillantor, lluentor, lluir, lluïssor, brillarCatalan, Valencian
- skinne, glimte, brillans, lyse, stråle, glimre, brillere, skin, glans, pudse, polere, blankeDanish
- Brillanz, Glanz, leuchten, Schein, Bravour, scheinen, glänzen, polieren, bohnernGerman
- poluro, briliEsperanto
- brillo, brillar, lucirSpanish
- loiste, paiste, kirkkaus, valo, loistaa, paistaa, loistavuus, kiiltää, paistaa silmään, loistokkuus, hohde, hohtaa, helottaa, loisteliaisuus, erottua, kiillottaa, puleerataFinnish
- éclat, briller, luireFrench
- deàlraich, boillsg, deàrrs, lìomhScottish Gaelic
- brillo, brillantez, brillar, lucir, coruscar, resplandecer, relucirGalician
- փայլել, փայլArmenian
- risplendere, splendere, brillareItalian
- 輝き, 卓越, 輝く, 目立つ, 照らす, 光, 光る, 磨くJapanese
- 비치다, 비추다, 빛나다Korean
- nitere, emineo, anteeo, antecedo, excello, lūceō, polio, expolio, levigo, tergeo, luceatLatin
- schéngenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- straling, bravoure, stralen, glanzen, voor de hand liggen, schijn, glans, uitmuntendheid, schijnen, blinken, uitblinken, polieren, opblinkenDutch
- lusejar, lusirOccitan
- esplendor, brilhar, cintilar, sobressair, brilho, luzir, resplandecer, lustrar, polirPortuguese
- k'anchay, illay, llimphiyQuechua
- tarlischar, glüschir, traglischar, glischar, glischear, targlischierRomansh
- strălucire, luciu, luci, lumina, lustru, străluci, lustruiRomanian
- свет, сияние, светить, сиять, блестеть, блеск, светиться, блистать, полировать, чиститьRussian
- lúgere, luxi, lúchereSardinian
- sijati, svetitiSlovene
- glans, finish, stråla, reflektera, glänsa, sken, polish, lysa, skina, blänka, lysande, lysa i ögonen, putsa, poleraSwedish
- ప్రకాశము, మెరుపు, మెరియు, వెలిగిపోవు, ప్రకాశించుTelugu
- چمکنا, جگمگانا, جهلملانا, چمکUrdu
- soi sáng, tỏa sáng, chiếu sángVietnamese
Get even more translations for shine »
Find a translation for the shine synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)