illusion, fantasy, phantasy, fancy(noun)
something many people believe that is false
"they have the illusion that I am very wealthy"
a kind of imagination that was held by Coleridge to be more casual and superficial than true imagination
fondness, fancy, partiality(adj)
a predisposition to like something
"he had a fondness for whiskey"
not plain; decorative or ornamented
"fancy handwriting"; "fancy clothes"
visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image(verb)
imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind
"I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
ensure, project, interpret, examine, look, experience, get word, visualise, watch, assure, image, run across, go steady, protrude, learn, cast, run into, enter, discover, escort, jut, pick up, visit, reckon, jut out, consider, forecast, come across, cypher, get a line, externalize, get wind, contrive, take care, calculate, control, ascertain, insure, attend, compute, date, realize, see, check, stick out, foresee, meet, propose, witness, go for, count on, catch, construe, design, estimate, regard, visualize, picture, plan, find, work out, go through, take in, view, take to, throw, hear, render, externalise, go out, envision, determine, see to it, encounter, figure, find out, cipher, understand, depict, show, send off, realise
fancy, go for, take to(verb)
have a fancy or particular liking or desire for
"She fancied a necklace that she had seen in the jeweler's window"
This is a fancy shawl.
Of a superior grade.
This box contains bottles of the fancy grade of jelly.
Executed with skill.
He initiated the game winning play with a fancy, deked saucer pass to the winger.
I'm not keen on him and his fancy ideas.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
An intellectual fancy is a mental image or picture founded upon slight or whimsical association or resemblance; a conceit has less of the picturesque and more of the theoretic than a fancy; a conceit is somewhat aside from the common laws of reasoning, as a fancy is lighter and more airy than the common mode of thought. A conceit or fancy may be wholly unfounded, while a conception always has, or is believed to have, some answering reality. (Compare REASON.) An intellectual fancy or conceit may be pleasing or amusing, but is never worth serious discussion; we speak of a mere fancy, a droll or odd conceit. An emotional or personal fancy is a capricious liking formed with slight reason and no exercise of judgment, and liable to fade as lightly as it was formed. In a broader sense, the fancy signifies the faculty by which fancies or mental images are formed, associated, or combined. Compare synonyms for DREAM; IDEA; IMAGINATION.
To have a fancy for or take a fancy to a person or thing.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for fancy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- غير حقيقيArabic
- прищявка, представям си, причудлив, харесвам, обичам, фантазия, въображение, каприз, пристрастие, въобразявам си, украсен, майсторски изработенBulgarian
- fantasiaCatalan, Valencian
- mít chuťCzech
- Anhängertum, Anhängerschaft, Fans, edel, schick, Idee, Einfall, Fantasie, Vorstellung, schrill, Eindruck, ausgefallen, Zuneigung, Leidenschaft, Vernarrtheit, verworren, Anhänger, vertrackt, geschickt, Einbildung, Vorstellungskraft, kunstvoll, Einbildungskraft, raffiniert, kraus, nobel, einfallsreich, GefallenGerman
- gustar, tener ganas, antojar, tincar, ser atraído por, apetecer, provocarSpanish
- علاقه داشتن بهPersian
- hienostunut, hieno, oikku, koristeellinen, päähänpisto, harrastajat, intoilijat, tehdä mieli, ihastus, halutaFinnish
- saoil, smaoinichScottish Gaelic
- capriccio, fantasia, impuntatura, sbandata, mania, maniaco, ghiribizzo, fanatico, fedele, amanteItalian
- бажати, хотіти, уявляти, уявитиUkrainian
Get even more translations for fancy »
Find a translation for the fancy synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)