mean, mean value(adj)
an average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value
"the average income in New England is below that of the nation"; "of average height for his age"; "the mean annual rainfall"
characterized by malice
"a hateful thing to do"; "in a mean mood"
base, mean, meanspirited(adj)
having or showing an ignoble lack of honor or morality
"that liberal obedience without which your army would be a base rabble"- Edmund Burke; "taking a mean advantage"; "chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort"- Shakespeare; "something essentially vulgar and meanspirited in politics"
"famous for a mean backhand"
marked by poverty befitting a beggar
"a beggarly existence in the slums"; "a mean hut"
mean, mingy, miserly, tight(adj)
(used of persons or behavior) characterized by or indicative of lack of generosity
"a mean person"; "he left a miserly tip"
close, pissed, blind drunk, base, mean(a), besotted, slopped, rigorous, mingy, blotto, average, squiffy, pixilated, hateful, cockeyed, crocked, fuddled, tight, soused, compressed, meanspirited, sozzled, taut, nasty, plastered, miserly, stiff, stringent, pie-eyed, bastardly, sloshed, smashed, soaked, loaded, wet, beggarly
(used of sums of money) so small in amount as to deserve contempt
of no value or worth
"I was caught in the bastardly traffic"
mean or intend to express or convey
"You never understand what I mean!"; "what do his words intend?"
entail, imply, mean(verb)
have as a logical consequence
"The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers"
mean, intend, signify, stand for(verb)
denote or connote
"`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
intend, mean, think(verb)
have in mind as a purpose
"I mean no harm"; "I only meant to help you"; "She didn't think to harm me"; "We thought to return early that night"
entail, call back, signify, guess, recollect, imagine, consider, retrieve, call up, destine, reckon, suppose, stand for, imply, cogitate, specify, conceive, designate, think, cerebrate, recall, remember, think of, opine, have in mind, intend, believe
have a specified degree of importance
"My ex-husband means nothing to me"; "Happiness means everything"
think of, have in mind, mean(verb)
intend to refer to
"I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"
entail, signify, think up, dream up, entertain, think about, repute, esteem, hatch, stand for, remember, concoct, have in mind, regard as, flirt with, look on, toy with, imply, look upon, think of, take to be, intend, think
destine or designate for a certain purpose
"These flowers were meant for you"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
someone who does not share
don’t be such a cuvitch
not so nice.
"why are you so mean mother ginger!"Submitted by rinat on August 19, 2019
the thin lipped person is often portrayed in literature as a mean minded personSubmitted by annpaterson on January 1, 2020
to be a savage or loud
he was trundling through the depths of the mud
bad mannered, rude.
the dog was weak and underbred.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
base, abject, grovelling, vile, contemptible, despicable, servile, beggarly, sneaking, dirty, scurvy, shabby, sorry, disingenuous, unfair, rascally, pitiful, base-minded, low-minded, dishonorable
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
contemptible, despicable, low-minded, base, abject, groveling, dishonorable, shabby, scurvy, servile, menial, undignified, unbecoming, disingenuous, obscure, ignoble, plebeian, inglorious, undistinguished, vulgar, penurious, illiberal, sordid, miserly, stingy, mercenary parsimonious, ungenerous, midway, average, moderate, middle, medium, mediocre, intermediate, mediate, intervening, insignificant, paltry, inconsequential, piddling, frivolous, inferior, poor
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use mean in a sentence?
Hi, I'm Chelsea Clinton, and one thing you may not know about me is I am not running for public office. I mean, I just -- no.
I just want to say one thing : that my granddaughter, she was a good girl. You know, she was, like, 10 years old, and for as what kind of person she was, she was an usher in the church. Very much, you know... she just, just good to go, i mean, as far as violence or anything like that, she never would do that.
When you give advice about what should you be doing -- should you be out there, should you be shutting down earlier versus later ? I mean, people get confused. And they say,' Wow, you know, we shut down and we caused a great disruption in society. We caused great economic pain, loss of jobs,'.
The job that FEMA and law enforcement and everybody did, working along with the governor in Puerto Rico, I think was tremendous. I think that Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success, texas we have been given A-pluses for. Florida we’ve been given A-pluses for. I think in a certain way the best job we did was Puerto Rico but nobody would understand that, I mean it’s harder to understand.
People were saying bizarrely mean things to Dolly Parton it made me really mad, she is a treasure everyone loves her what is the point of being mean to Dolly Parton?
Translations for mean
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- خسيس, لئيم, عنى, تعنيArabic
- significar, voler dir, pretendre, mitjana, migCatalan, Valencian
- znamenat, plánovat, chtít, aritmetický průměr, prostředekCzech
- betyde, mene, middelDanish
- mittelmäßig, gemein, böse, bedeuten, beabsichtigen, meinen, Mittel, Mittel-German
- άγριος, άθλιος, κακός, μέσος όρος, μέσοςGreek
- kruela, malafabla, malbonkvalita, voli diri, signifi, intenci, rimedo, mezaEsperanto
- malo, malvado, tacaño, desconsiderado, inferior, formidable, mezquino, cruel, producir, decir en serio, pretender, significar, querer decir, proponer, resultar, intentar, medio, media, recurso, reclamar, apiadarse, compadecerse, lamentarse, significaráSpanish
- anker, gaiztoBasque
- ilkeä, tarkoittaa, tietää, merkitä, aikoa, väline, keskiarvo, tapa, keino, keski-Finnish
- cruel, inférieur, méchant, inférieure, signifier, vouloir dire, avoir l'intention, moyenne, moyenFrench
- ciallaich, meadhan, cuibheas, cuibheasachdScottish Gaelic
- התכוון, אמצעיHebrew
- significar, ressource, media, medio, medieInterlingua
- meina, ætla, þýða, meðaltal, hreint meðaltal, innliður, milliliður, venjulegt meðaltalIcelandic
- inferiore, eccellente, violento, formidabile, insignificante, meschino, favoloso, ignobile, maligno, potente, taccagno, avaro, gretto, malevolo, fantastico, furioso, sgarbato, mediocre, spilorcio, cattivo, voler dire, intendere, avere l'intenzione, significare, volere, portare, mezzo, media, medioItalian
- 卑劣, 悪い, 腹黒い, 汚い, 劣る, 卑しい, 意地悪, 厄介, するつもり, 意味, 意図, 平均値, 平均, 平均的Japanese
- volo, significo, indicō, habeo in animoLatin
- nekrietns, zemisksLatvian
- gemeen, boosaardig, minderwaardig, bedoelen, betekenen, willen, menen, willen zeggen, van plan zijn, middel, gemiddelde, gemiddeldDutch
- chcieć, znaczyćPolish
- inferior, maldoso, formidável, terrível, excelente, ruim, mesquinho, tacanho, cruel, avarento, mau, ótimo, tencionar, falar sério, representar, significar, querer dizer, indicar, querer, pretender, média, alto, passo, recurso, meio, lamentar, compadecer-se, apiedar-se, médio, mediano, reclamarPortuguese
- a vrea să spună, indica, gândi, vrea, a semnifica, avea intenția, am convingerea, însemna, mediu, medie, mijlocRomanian
- зло́бный, злой, по́длый, означа́ть, думать, име́ть в виду́, зна́чить, намерева́ться, собира́ться, сре́днее, сре́дство, сре́днийRussian
- elak, usel, gemen, innebära, mena, betyda, syfta på, tänka, genomsnitt, medelvärde, genomsnittlig, medel-Swedish
- నాణ్యత లేని, కారణమగుట, భయంకరమైన, దురుసు, కష్ట సాధ్యము, స్వార్ధము, శక్తివంతమైన, పాడుచేయు, అనుకోవడము, అనుకొనుట, ఫలితము, అర్ధం ఏమిటి, పధకము వేయు, పూర్తి అయిందిTelugu
- หมายความ, ตั้งใจ, หมายถึงThai
- cimri, yolTurkish
- nghĩa làVietnamese
Get even more translations for mean »
Find a translation for the mean synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)