something that is read
"the article was a very good read"
interpret something that is written or printed
"read the advertisement"; "Have you read Salman Rushdie?"
have or contain a certain wording or form
"The passage reads as follows"; "What does the law say?"
enunciate, sound out, aver, scan, say, record, state, enounce, register, learn, interpret, articulate, translate, study, pronounce, enjoin, allege, understand, take, tell, order, suppose, show
look at, interpret, and say out loud something that is written or printed
"The King will read the proclamation at noon"
obtain data from magnetic tapes
"This dictionary can be read by the computer"
interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky; also of human behavior
"She read the sky and predicted rain"; "I can't read his strange behavior"; "The fortune teller read his fate in the crystal ball"
interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression
"I read this address as a satire"; "How should I take this message?"; "You can't take credit for this!"
take on, demand, take in, shoot, get, call for, exact, take, pack, bring, acquire, involve, register, make, scan, lease, guide, engage, lead, hire, necessitate, select, have, record, occupy, strike, study, get hold of, train, use up, assume, admit, pick out, need, say, adopt, subscribe to, deal, take aim, translate, show, postulate, claim, ingest, hold, carry, contract, aim, require, fill, film, charter, drive, direct, ask, choose, subscribe, convey, submit, understand, conduct, interpret, take up, rent, take away, consider, accept, learn, withdraw, consume, contain, look at, remove
learn, study, read, take(verb)
be a student of a certain subject
"She is reading for the bar exam"
require, pick up, occupy, interpret, rent, withdraw, make, lead, ingest, get word, take on, carry, watch, assume, meditate, scan, memorise, subscribe to, hold, choose, learn, fill, instruct, necessitate, discover, pick out, examine, register, con, have, hit the books, consider, need, study, get a line, say, get wind, contract, deal, adopt, film, remove, ascertain, translate, lease, train, check, consume, take up, larn, bring, analyze, strike, use up, select, take, engage, drive, find out, see, claim, demand, get, get hold of, exact, take away, pack, canvas, call for, take in, analyse, submit, canvass, take aim, shoot, aim, contemplate, direct, charter, hear, postulate, contain, determine, subscribe, convey, involve, acquire, look at, record, hire, accept, understand, guide, admit, teach, show, memorize, ask, conduct
read, register, show, record(verb)
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
express, demo, register, show, testify, establish, depict, evidence, put down, take, exhibit, point, indicate, say, record, picture, memorialize, cross-file, shew, file, immortalize, usher, scan, designate, memorialise, render, study, evince, prove, tape, present, demonstrate, understand, interpret, enter, commemorate, translate, immortalise, learn, show up, bear witness
audition for a stage role by reading parts of a role
"He is auditioning for `Julius Caesar' at Stratford this year"
to hear and understand
"I read you loud and clear!"
understand, read, interpret, translate(verb)
make sense of a language
"She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
construe, infer, scan, say, represent, sympathise, transform, show, empathize, rede, register, learn, interpret, sympathize, translate, study, record, empathise, take, realise, realize, render, see, understand
To speak aloud words or other information that is written. Often construed with a to phrase or an indirect object.
To be able to hear what another person is saying over a radio connection.
Do you read me?
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use read in a sentence?
I literally read this book, and I did it for this autoimmune disease that I had and I had a thyroid issue, and now all my levels are back up. I’m not on medicine anymore because of this book.
Normally, I check things out before I do them. I read everything.
We are just defending democracy, we are not crazy, or irrational, as they call us. Our fathers fought when they couldn't even read and write, now it is our time to fight, to defend our people and the people of Bolivia.
Too strong of a light can be deadly to the one used to read by candlelight.
READ THE TRANSCRIPTS! The Impeachment Hoax is the greatest con job in the history of American politics!
Translations for read
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- чыта́ць, прачыта́цьBelarusian
- чета́, прочета́, чу́вам, прочитамBulgarian
- sentir, llegir, llegir-se, estudiarCatalan, Valencian
- číst, být gramotný, předčítatCzech
- studieren, [[gelesen]] [[werden]], vorlesen, [[lesen]] [[können]], lesen, hören, verstehenGerman
- διαβάζω, ανάγνωσηGreek
- leer, entenderse, leerse, decir, interpertase, poner, estudiar, lecturaSpanish
- lugema, kuulma, omandama, vaataEstonian
- atzeman, irakurri, leitu, erakurriBasque
- lukea, kuullaFinnish
- recevoir, lire, étudier, se lire, lectureFrench
- lêzeWestern Frisian
- leughScottish Gaelic
- elolvas, felolvas, olvasHungarian
- ընթերցել, կարդալArmenian
- mengerti, berbunyi, pelajari, dibaca, bacaIndonesian
- lesa, lesningIcelandic
- leggere, leggersi, leggere ad alta voce, ricevereItalian
- 読む, 読み上げるJapanese
- atuarpoqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- អាន, មើលKhmer
- xwendin, خوێندن, bihîstin, xwandin, bîstin, vekolînKurdish
- lego, studere, legor, recitoLatin
- liesenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kōrero, pānui, rītiMāori
- പഠിക്കുക, വായിക്കുക, വായനMalayalam
- lezen, ontvangen, horen, gelezen worden, voorlezenDutch
- lese, studere, høre, oppfatte, forståNorwegian
- ííníshtaʼNavajo, Navaho
- ਵਾਚਣਾPanjabi, Punjabi
- studiować, odczytać, czytać, przeczytać, odczytywać, czytać sięPolish
- copiar, dizer, ler, estudar, ler-se, leitura, lidaPortuguese
- ñawinchay, qillqaqhaway, ñawilliy, ñawiyQuechua
- a putea citi, lectura, a lectura, a fi citit, citi, a fi lecturat, lecturare, intonare, citireRomanian
- прочита́ть, чита́ть, изуча́тьRussian
- पठ्, पठतिSanskrit
- lèzere, lègere, lízere, ligi, lígiri, lígere, lèghereSardinian
- čitati, читатиSerbo-Croatian
- කියවනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- brati, čìtatiSlovene
- lexon, lexojAlbanian
- balaSouthern Sotho
- höra, läsa, studera, uppfatta, förstå, läsningSwedish
- వల్లెవేయు, చదువుTelugu
- อ่านออกเสียง, อ่านThai
- bumasa, basahinTagalog
- чита́ти, прочита́тиUkrainian
- đọc, nghiên cứu, ghi, đề, học, viết, chỉVietnamese
Get even more translations for read »
Find a translation for the read synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)